Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Donkeys, Diviners, and Divine Intervention

Being sick has thrown a wrench in my Sunday post plans, but it's no excuse for being two days late! Yesterday, I spent a good hour or so catching up on my personal Bible study as well.

I've reached Numbers now in my read-through of the Bible, and particularly hit on the stories of the Israelites and their eventual destruction of the Midianites. One of the main stories that stuck out to me was the oft-recited children's story of Balaam the diviner and his little faithful donkey. What we forget as adults is the surrounding story around Balaam's journey and interruption by divine authority.

Balaam had been summoned by Balak, the king of Moab, to come to Moab and curse the people of Israel, who were certain to overrun Moab and destroy it. When Balak's officials arrived to take Balaam to their king, Balaam contacted God, who on first prayer, said Balaam should remain. The second time that Balaam prayed, however, God appeared to have consented:

1 comment: